Monday, February 4, 2013

Review: The Iron Daughter by Julie Kagawa


The Iron Daughter (The Iron Fey, #2)
*Synopsis and Cover from Goodreads

Synopsis
Half Summer faery princess, half human, Meghan has never fit in anywhere. Deserted by the Winter prince she thought loved her, she is prisoner to the Winter faery queen. As war looms between Summer and Winter, Meghan knows that the real danger comes from the Iron fey—ironbound faeries that only she and her absent prince have seen. But no one believes her.
 Worse, Meghan's own fey powers have been cut off. She's stuck in Faery with only her wits for help. Trusting anyone would be foolish. Trusting a seeming traitor could be deadly. But even as she grows a backbone of iron, Meghan can't help but hear the whispers of longing in her all-too-human heart.

Helpful Links: Goodreads | Amazon | Website

My Review: 4 Delectable

Meghan just discovered she is different and that she comes from Faeries. Desperate to save her brother from the Iron Fey Meghan made a deal with Ash the Winter prince. Holding up her end of the bargain Meghan is now at the hands of the Winter Fey and its ice cold queen. As Meghan is held prisoner in the Winter realm the unthinkable happens and war is now upon the Fey world. Determined to prevent a war Meghan must put her trust in those that once deemed her harm in order to return that which was stolen. A mission that could not only bring her death but the destruction of the entire faery realm.

Again Julie Kagawa did an excellent job of creating the wonderful world of Fey. A world that I would love to visit a world so vivid with color and imagination it is as if it were a living thing. Adding to the world incredible creatures and characters that make the world even more alluring and sometimes lethal. 

Whereas the first book mostly focused on Meghan, Puck, Ash and Grimalkin, this introduces us to even more of Julie Kagawa's fabulous creations. In this book we are treated to the minds of the Winter princes as they taunt and tease Meghan, get to dive further into the mind of an Iron Fey, meet fabulous new characters (whom I can't mention here because that would ruin it) along with getting to know my favorite characters Meghan, Ash and Puck better.

Okay Ash and Puck are my favorite. I have to admit that Meghan kind of ticks me off. She is the typical whiny girl who is too quick to jump to conclusions and doesn't really listen to anyone but herself. There were so many times that I wanted to smack her in this book. And it was all because she didn't listen to what she was told (I'm sure you will feel the same way after you read it). Ash, well he is Ash, the dark prince of Winter who is fierce, dangerous, loyal and incredibly sweet has quickly swept me off my feet and literally blew me away with what he did at the end of this book. (I mean really I think I squealed!)

And Puck, what isn't there to love about Puck. He provides the much needed comedy in this book, but don't underestimate him. Oh, no! Puck is a fierce warrior who definitely knows his way around a battle. He just does it with style! Most of my favorite scenes involve Puck and I found myself torn as I read this book (again  can't share as it would spoil things, so you will have to read it). My heart wanting one thing and my head wanting another. Although I am sure that was Julie Kagawa's intention.

This story picked up right where The Iron King left off so it made it easy to get right back in the story. Every part of the story was carefully crafted and had a purpose whether for this book or for a future story down the line. You could read the intention behind the words. And I will say that I did have two of my suspicions confirmed in this book, now to read the next one and see if some of my others are right!

The Iron Daughter is definitely a story that will quench the thirst of your imagination, leave your heart torn and of course leave you wondering what could possibly be next! 

Favorite Character Moment:

"You still don't know enough about this world to be properly terrified. Things are going to get screwed eight ways from Sunday, and you're making goo-goo eyes at the enemy!" (Kagawa paperback, p. 135).

I chose these lines in particular because I think it really shows what I said earlier about Meghan not listening. And in this part you really begin to see more of Puck's motivations and it will definitely make your heart ache.

"Devouring worlds, one book and recipe at a time." 

No comments:

Post a Comment