Monday, November 12, 2012

The Fall of Billy Hitchings by Kirkus MacGowan (Book Review)

 
Cover from Goodreads


Of course you all know that I love to read, obviously, and that I love to read anything paranormal, fantasy, or supernatural. But I equally love thrillers, suspense and mystery novels. And I love it even more when those two world collide as they do in The Fall of Billy Hithcings. 

Kelly and Amfar are in Myrtle Beach to deliver some artifacts that were recently discovered in a dig in Kentucky. At a stop for lunch they are privy to a showdown between the manager and the young gentleman working the front counter when things suddenly get weird. Kelly decides she is no longer hungry and tries to rush Amfar out the door, but Amfar is too entranced by what he is seeing before him. As Kelly is about to leave the restaurant the building explodes. Leaving both Kelly and Amfar in the hospital.

John Reeves the bad ass bodyguard slash part-time publisher travels to Myrtle Beach to try and convince his ex-fiancée, Kelly, that what he did was stupid and that he really did love her. Only when he gets there he discovers that Kelly has been in an accident and lays in a hospital bed unconscious and the only thing they will tell him is that she was in a restaurant when it exploded.  After discovering the more than unusual circumstances surrounding the restaurant explosion John takes it upon himself to discover what really happened that day. While investigating the “explosion” he meets Billy the 19 year old young man working the counter the day the explosion happened. And he discovers that Billy too wants to know what happened. 

Bonded by their desire to discover the truth, Billy and John begin to unravel a powerful mystery that if put in the wrong hands could cause mass destruction. In a battle to prevent just that from happening, John is taken on a dangerous journey that will put all his skills to the test and could even end his life.

My Review: 4-Delectable
This book starts off with a bang and immediately I fell in love with the lead character John Reeves, who I dub the bad ass bodyguard. And just when I think I know where the story is going, BAM, the story explodes and I find that I was absolutely wrong. This is one time that I was glad I was wrong. And every time I thought I knew what was going to happen, Kirkus MacGowan threw in another twist. Always keeping me on my toes and reminding me not to expect the usual with this story. But I’m stubborn and hypothesized right up to the very end. And as it turns out, one of my predictions was correct, but only one. This is not your typical mystery/suspense so, if you are looking for a story that leaves you guessing after every turn and explodes with excitement, then this is your book.

As you read this book you are given the opportunity to see the world through not only just John’s eyes, but those of Amfar and Billy as well. I did like getting to see what most of the characters were doing throughout the book, but personally, I would have loved to have seen the book written just from John’s perspective. Or even John and Billy’s. I really wanted more of John’s “deadly grace” as it is put in the book. It is for this reason along with a few editing errors that I am giving this book a 4. 

Favorite Character Moment:
Really my favorite moment in the book is what get's dubbed as the "gun show" in Chapter 17, it is more than a moment and would take up quite a bit of room here, so you will have to just read that chapter for yourself, but for fun I will give you a little tease of why I liked it so much.

"Amfar couldn't believe he was stuck between two gun-slinging idiots. The fate of the world might be in their hands, and the only people he had to work with were concerned more about who could shoot the fastest than how the world might end." (kindle, p. 207).

Synopsis from Goodreads:
Book Description:
John Reeves, an ex-Marine, drives to Myrtle Beach to confront his fiancée, hoping to repair their damaged relationship. Instead, he finds her unconscious in the local hospital, the victim of an unexplained explosion at a local restaurant.

During his investigation, Reeves meets Billy Hitchings, a teenager who knows more about the explosion than he should. Their questions lead to an ancient legacy best left alone.

Pulled into yet another crossfire, John Reeves fights to protect his friends and keep a primeval power from falling into the wrong hands.


"Devouring worlds one book and recipe at a time."


2 comments:

  1. Just stopping over to say thanks a bunch for taking the time to write a review for The Fall of Billy Hitchings! Greatly appreciated. :)

    Kirkus

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always glad to help out an author!! Just doing what I love...reading!! Thanks for stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete