Sunday, October 21, 2012

BBQ Shredded Pork Sandwiches

One of my new favorite things is BBQ shredded pork. But I never liked the idea of cooking a pork butt all day and having it not even turn out tender. I prefer something much simpler. That's why I used pork steaks. The first time I created this recipe I was feeling rather lazy. I don't remember how I cam up with the idea, but  I am glad that I did. The first time I made it of course I didn't write anything down, so when I made it the second time I was afraid that I wouldn't be able to replicate it. This time I made sure to write it down.


As you can see from the picture this recipe is not your typical "sauce" smothered recipe. But rather a vinegar based BBQ from the likes of North Carolina. But I assure you it tastes great! 

BBQ Shredded Pork
Yields: 10-12 sandwiches

4 Pork Steaks
1 Tbsp. Fajita Seasoning
1 Tbsp. Black Pepper
1 Tbsp. Lemon Pepper
1/2 Cup A1 Sauce
1 Cup BBQ (I use Sweet Baby Ray's....cause its the best!)
1 Tbsp. Minced Garlic
2 1/2 Cup Apple Cider Vinegar
1 1/2 Cup Chicken Broth


In a large pot place pork steaks and coat with seasonings. Then place the rest of the ingredients over the steaks, cover with a lid and cook on low heat for about 4 hours, or until the bones fall out and make sure to rotate the meat. But the longer the better! Then remove from liquid and shred, or smash, because they are so tender all you have to do it smash the meat with a fork.


Now you can build your sandwich! Oh wait, first you have to make this wonderful coleslaw to go on top! 

I normally don't like coleslaw, okay I normally hate coleslaw, but this coleslaw is the BOMB! Seriously! I mean come on it has bacon, and we all know that bacon makes everything better, right? This recipe was my mom's. I don't know exactly where she got it or how she came up with it, but I have never seen or tasted anything like it.

Mom's Wilted Coleslaw

1 Small bag of coleslaw mix (I forgot to pay attention to the ounces, but really you can eyeball this one!)
1/4 Cup French Dressing
1/2 Small red onion thinly sliced and cut in half
3 Slices of crispy bacon crumbled
1 Tbsp. Bacon Grease (yes I said grease)

In a medium size bowl mix together the first 4 ingredients. Before serving pour your hot bacon grease over the coleslaw and toss! Really it is as easy as that. Not really sure how else to explain it. Just throw it all in a bowl!

Tip: When making the sandwich I like to add some of the liquid used to cook the meat in. Adds a little extra zing to the sandwich. You can also top with your favorite BBQ sauce, mine is Sweet Baby Rays. Now go out and build that sandwich!!


YUM!


No comments:

Post a Comment